OpenVPN is a open source VPN provider which has more than 50 VPN servers worldwide across 23 regions in 12 countries. OpenVPN is available merely for all the platforms.
It allows us to configure the vpn by using our own configuration files which means that, we can use this tool to connect over other VPN servers also.
By using the configuration files of Portmap.io, OpenVPN can be used for Hacking over WAN. Click here to know more about How to use Portmap.io with OpenVPN for Hacking over WAN.
How to Install and Configure Open VPN in Kali Linux :
- To install OpenVPN in kali linux, make sure that you have updated your repositories.
- Now type “apt-get install openvpn“
- This will now install, open vpn from the repositories.
- In the mean time, Download the configuration files of your choice.
- To download the configuration files from Nord VPN, visit here : https://nordvpn.com/api/files/zip
- Now, the configuration files will be downloaded as zip file.
- Unzip the file.
- Now type “openvpn <name of any config file>
- Ex : openvpn thoatta.port4444.ovpn (I have used a Portmap.io configuration file for making connection)
- This will now launch your VPN connection.
- kali Linux has inbuilt network manager with VPN options. So, to add this Open VPN to the network maanager, type apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome
- After the installation completes successfully, restart your Network Manager.
- To restart, type service network-manager restart
- Now, go to your Settings<Networks.
- Click on VPN. You can see “OpenVPN” configuration option.
- Choose “Import from File” option and import your configuration file.
- After importing, add your configuration file.
- Reboot once and login into Kali.
- Now you can see your VPN configuration under VPN section of your Network Manager.
How to Install OpenVPN tar.gz File :
- If you had already Downloaded tar.gz file from the official website, you can install it my extracting the file.
- To extract, type tar -xvzf openvpn-[version].tar.gz
- After successful extraction, type the following commands one by one
- make install
- After installing, launch openvpn by typing “openvpn <config file name>